REFLECTIONS is a nation-wide arts appreciation and recognition program for students. It is sponsored by the National PTA, and it takes place in the Fall. Every year there is a new theme for the competition, which is chosen from student suggested ideas. It is very important, that the art works relate to the theme! The participants need to write a 10-100-word artist statement to go with their art piece, which tells the judges how the theme inspired their art work, or how their art work is related to the theme.
Entry Requirements — (All participants must also follow Arts Category and Division Rules) — Only new pieces of artwork inspired by the theme may be submitted. Each entry must be the original work of one student only. An adult may not alter the creative integrity of a student’s work. Because the program is designed to encourage and recognize each student’s individual creativity, help from an adult or collaboration with other students is not allowed except in the Special Artist Division. Only one student may be recognized as the award recipient for each entry. Other individuals may appear in or perform a student’s work, but the work itself must be the creative product of one student only. See the specific Arts Category Rules for details. Each entry must contain a title and all entries must include an artist statement. The artist statement communicates what inspired the work, how it relates to the theme, and the content of the work. The statement must include at least one sentence, but may not exceed 100 words. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited, except for recorded music in dance choreography and film production entries. Plagiarized entries will be disqualified. Use of PowerPoint presentations are prohibited because most graphic elements are copyrighted.
Students may submit entries in the following categories:
- Literature – Fiction or nonfiction, prose, poetry, drama, or short story (must not exceed 2,000 words or 8 ½ x 11 inches)
- Visual Arts – Original print, drawing, painting, collage, photographic collage, metal etching or punch work, fiber work, or computer-generated artwork (must be flat, not more than 3/8 inches thick, maximum size 24 x 30 inches including a mat)
- Photography – Original black-and-white or color image, single print or collage (maximum size 11 x 14 inches including a mat)
- Musical Composition –Voice, instruments or a combination of both, with or without lyrics (maximum time 5 minutes, a CD recording of a performance of the composition should be submitted.)
- Dance Choreography – Original dance choreographed by the student with up to 3 dancers. (maximum time 3 minutes, should be submitted on a CD or DVD)
- Film Production – Original work, animation, narrative, documentary, experimental, computer-generated (no PowerPoint, maximum time 5 minutes, CD or DVD)
Have fun and make sure all entries relate to the theme: “Within Reach?”
For more information regarding the Reflection Program, click here.
Melanie Horton & Ashley Marshall
Hunt PTA Reflections Chairs